Thursday, December 4, 2008

Exhaustion

Ok, so maybe my exhaustion doesn't compare with that of the parents of a certain six month old, who have recently been woken up every two to three hours throughout the night. But I have a demanding baby of my own named Lupe.

The Rascal.
Lupe seems to think that I don't need to sleep past 4:30, 5:00 in the morning, weekend or not. She sits on top of me and digs at my body till I wake up. If that doesn't work she jumps up on the bookshelf to pull on my earring display so that it crashes (repeatedly) into the wall, "clank, clank, clank, clank."

You would think we'd get mad at her and throw her out of the bed, or even shut her out of the bedroom, but ahhh.... then you don't understand the love of a true cat lover. Usually if it's a weekday I just get up since I have to get up really early anyway. But if it's a weekend we just open our eyes and look at each other and laugh, and see if she'll let us go back to sleep.

Imagine my joy when I found this drawing on a blogger's website. "Speck" has two blogs, one to just chat about what's going on, and the other more oriented to her artwork. I wrote her that she has captured a bit of my life in this sketch: Layli sleeping on my left side, and Lupe digging at my head. It looks so cute, so picturesque, so... comfy. Is there a way to sketch exhaustion? Yaaaawwwwnnnnn... ...hhhhmmm ... ...I'm going to have to start going to bed at 7:30.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I feel your pain. In addition to the wakeful baby in my house, I also have a cat that likes to attack my legs in the middle of the night.
I don't kick either of them out of my house....yawn.
-Shirin

Tita said...

Oh my gosh, it's genetic!! I cannot believe how similar Delila and Lupe are! When I lived in a bigger apartment, I would shut my door at night to prevent Delila from waking me up at 4 a.m. with her incessant prodding and purring. This resulting in her putting her little paw under the door and pulling over and over, "bang, bang, bang!" Unlike my mother, I keep a squirt gun by the bed now for when she begins clawing at my hair and my eyes. :) Delila's badgering is aimed at one goal, and one goal only...getting her fuzzy paws on some of that delicious FOOD! Don't worry mommy, I rarely squirt her.