Thursday, May 20, 2010

Endurance Runner

Although my house is still in total chaos I noticed a story on the internet regarding Scott Jurek, whose progress I have loosely followed for years. He is an endurance runner of the highest sort. 26 mile marathon? HA! Try 24 hours and over 100 miles completed!

Last Thursday and Friday Jurek competed in a 24-Hour run in France, a run to see how many miles can be run in that amount of time. The American record was 162 (if I remember correctly it was set in 1999 by Mark Godale) -- Jurek completed 165 and came in second place. Why does this matter?


It matters because Jurek is a vegan. It's important to dispell the myth that vegans are weak and undernourished. There are more vegan athletes than you'd ever imagine, such as the Milwaukee Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder, and hockey player Georges Laraque. It's all about being smart about what you eat. You can be a healthy vegan or an unhealthy vegan, a healthy meat-eater or an unhealthy meat-eater. So it's time for antiveganites to zip it. (The American Dietetic Association position paper on vegetarian and vegan diets)

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

Running for a whole day is so crazy and amazing. I could never do it, no matter what my diet!
-Shirin