I've had a wonderful Mother's Day all weekend long! It started with Saeed cooking me delicious Ghormeh Sabzi Friday night. Not long after finishing dinner I was scooping litter upstairs when Saeed came bearing "gifts" -- he was carrying Cyrus up the stairs to come say "hi" to Nama (I'm no longer Noma.) Saturday after decorating the table with flowers and two cute cards (one from Cyrus) Shirin took me to see the movie Babies, link to trailer here. What a great movie to see with your pregnant daughter! (We talked all the way home about the way babies from Westernized cultures are raised compared to their less modern counterparts. I think we both agreed that the non-Westernized babies, though at more risk of disease and mortal danger, seemed much happier and whined less.) After dinner Gabriel stayed to play Catan, leaving late to meet up with his buds, because he knew I wanted to play. Then this morning I awoke to find that Tita had posted a very sweet slide show on her blog with pictures of our family in the early days along with very loving captions. Her paper card is still working its way here via snail mail.
There is no manual that accompanies babies -- it should come out right after the placenta. Raising good kids is a crap shoot. No matter how well intentioned you are as a parent it's so hard to know what's 'right'. When my daughters say nice things about me as a mother I feel surprised and almost embarrassed. I think of all the things I did wrong and could have done better, almost as if they deserve an apology for all my goofs. So I am grateful that they think they had a good mother, so grateful.
So thank you Saeed, Shirin, Anahita, and Gabriel. I feel very loved and appreciated.
(some pictures will follow later)
1 comment:
I wish I could have been there to do more for you. Next time... You deserve all of our thanks and appreciation.
Post a Comment