Saturday, March 5, 2011

Watching Dexter/Listening To Sookie

It's Shirin's fault that I became addicted to the series "Dexter", but addicted I am. Fortunately I have finished all the seasons Netflix has to offer (1 - 4) so I can take a bit of a break, but I will be regularly checking the availability of season 5 as only a true addict does. In case you don't know about this show, Dexter Morgan is a Miami Metro Police Department blood spatter analyst who leads a double life. When he's not helping the homicide division solve murders, he satisfies his dark desires by hunting and killing bad guys who slip through the justice system. You may recognize the actor, Michael C. Hall, since he played in the HBO series "Six Feet Under."

The other thing Shirin got me hooked on is the Sookie Stackhouse series which I've been listening to on audio book. It's a vampire/supernaturals series that takes place primarily in Louisiana. Yes... that's right, vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves and fairies (and more)... "Supes" as Sookie calls them. I'm on the tenth book, the last available at this time; book #11 will be released on May 3rd but I don't think I'll buy it. Accidentally Gabriel didn't put book 6 on my iPod so I bought and read it; it wasn't as good. There's something about listening to this particular series that makes it so much fun. I think it's the excellent reader who does all the voices and really brings it to life. I tried to watch the HBO series "True Blood" based on these novels, but it was so bad I couldn't watch for more than 45 seconds.

I find that my tastes don't naturally run to these bloody, fantastical topics, but I've really enjoyed both of these series (I got hooked on Harry Potter too) and am happy that A) Shirin and Gabriel keep providing me with things I'd never seek out on my own, and B) that I am open to trying new things because I have enjoyed them so much. So thanks guys.