Monday, September 12, 2011

The Answer To Why The Chicken Crossed The Road

If only I'd had my camera to document this comical yet nail-biting vision...

I was sitting at a red light with four cars in front of me. The yard to my left has chickens, gorgeous hens with shiny feathers of black and rusty orange. Every day on my way to and from work I look for those beautiful birds who are often in the yard pecking away. Being the animal lunatic that I am I always worry that someone will snatch one of them for their soup pot. 

Back to my story. As I sat at the light I observed a glossy black hen dashing and lunging, dashing and lunging, dashing and lunging after a tasty hopping morsel – a cricket, a grasshopper, a little frog??? The little creature kept ahead of each lunge so I watched as this pursuit led the hen across the street and between two of the cars in front of me. EEEEK! Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic in the other lane but since I didn’t see the hen come out the other side it became clear to me that she had finally caught her breakfast and was eating it right there between the two cars which would surely want to move forward when the light turned green. EEEEK! I held my breath. Did they see her? Surely the car right behind her did, right? RIGHT? 

Whew, I let out my breath when I saw her calmly walk back across the other lane back into her yard… and the light turned green. Now we know why the chicken crossed the road. Too much stress for me.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Chickens are awesome. Are you allowed to have some in your backyard? I will help you build a pen and set them up if you can. :)
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

I'm not sure if it's legal in our subdivision, although I would think it's legal otherwise in that we live in the county, not within city limits. The folks with the chickens in my story live within city limits but I guess nobody cares. There are no roosters that I can see so no crowing at 5:30 AM. We've wanted chickens but maybe after your dad retires. We'd have to protect them against so many critters: dogs, snakes, hawks, owls, etc. It's a jungle here!