Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Eastern Kingsnake Sighting

When walking the other day I saw a squashed snake at the side of the road. Snakes don't have a very good chance at survival in our subdivision do they? This one looked like it had gotten run over by a car. I took its picture not to post but so I could identify it and it was definitely an Eastern Kingsnake.

My go-to site for snake identification is The University of Georgia's Savannah River Ecology Laboratory. In addition to a list of snakes in my state, it has tips for how to remain safe around snakes.

So I'm happy to say that the Eastern Kingsnake is a "good" snake to have around. It is a constrictor and is resistant to the venom of pit-vipers which it readily eats (copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes.) It will rattle its tail, release musk, and bite upon capture, but it is not venomous.

I think if I am the true animal lover I claim to be I need to study this list so I can protect wonderful animals such as this. I admit that my initial reaction to snakes is fear, but I commit to working on that.

(pictures courtesy of the above mentioned Savannah River Ecology Laboratory)


3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

We almost stepped on a baby snake while running tonight. I think it might've been a copperhead. It wasn't hurting anything, though, so we shooed it back into the woods.
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

Good for you. Eeww, copperhead? Still working on the fear factor...

Anonymous said...

Good deed, Shirin, the right thing for the environment and humanity, I would say. We just have to coexist. That is one reason I have been redoing the backyard to make it unlikely for anyone to step on a hidden innocent creature, snakes, and be bitten.
Saeed