Monday, March 25, 2013

No-Rooz 2013

Let me begin by saying that I will only use initials from now on in my blog after a conversation with A last night. If you search the net for her name some of what comes up is family blog entries with her name in them. She and I feel similarly that we don't really want so much personal info so readily found by a simple Google search. Fortunately most of us have different initials, the exception being my husband and first born daughter, so he will now go by H.

Technically No-Rooz was last week; we celebrated Saturday as it was the first day we were all together. It began with a scrumptious breakfast at IHOP. C and K couldn't even wait to dig in for a family picture!! We had a nice southern waitress named Sheila (aren't all southern waitresses named Sheila?) who took good care of our every need.

I can't tell if C is looking at the Haft Sin table or his reflection in the mirror. If you go to the Haft-Sin link it will explain what's on the table and why.

I love K's outstretched hand as Baba hands out Eidee.





The giant is cheating by standing on his toes.
  

Our sabzi turned out really good this year.

 Notice the beautiful cloth H's sister sent us. I love it.

The next tradition is referring to the poetry of Hafez for guidance on the answer to a question. H first rubs the pages while repeating a Farsi version of abracadabra then opens the book to the page with the answer. Click here if you'd like to try it.

 I love listening to H read Persian poetry. It's so musical.

G receives his fortune via the reading of Hafez:

Apparently "doosh" means several things. In Farsi it means either in the past or shower, in French it means shower, and to me it means something else entirely. I had to quit taping because I needed to laugh.

A lady in the grocery store took one look at the girls and asked if they are twins. Really? Sisters, yes. Twins? 

 Nama with her blue-eyed bubsy.

With both sweet bubsies!

 We met up with Ricardo at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant and brought him home to dye easter eggs. It's always good to see him.

I don't know if my sister remembers giving the girls this book, but the company who printed it put in our daughters' names as well as that of our cat (Rainbow) and the girls' town and school. It's a story about a smell monster who steals all the scents for himself. K LOVES it!

C gets in one more game (of Trouble) with his auntie A before heading back home.

Sadly both of my birthday balloons (sorry I don't have any pics of my birthday celebration - I was busy blowing out candles and opening presents) which were tied to C and K's wrists to take home were accidentally released into the wild. C was blaming K for letting them go and seriously cried at the loss, so this picture is for him. His balloon is still in our tree while K's took off on an adventure.
 

 My birthday flowers in my owl vase. I named my vase after Wesley the Owl.

We had such a fun weekend. A is still here but leaves tomorrow to visit friends in DC and Hoboken. Can't wait till everyone comes back HOME.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really good pictures and your narrative is equally fabulous. I am glad Shirin gave my sweet blond and blue-eyed wife a son who obviously shares many physical features with her. It is not easy to be a parent with mostly recessive genes; you could pass on a lot of abnormal traits but look like a stranger. Saeed

Anonymous said...

I agree with S about the great quality of this blog post. I'm guessing you had more time to work on this one than you usually do.

- Your Big Sis