Saturday, July 21, 2007

Mr. Nichols Look-Alike

Outside the YC Library is a very nice little natural area for people to sit or swing (swings like on a front porch not swings like on a playground.) The trees in this area are so amazing, sort of like the trees Shirin took pictures of in Cambodia. The branches are vine-like and grow around things and form a lattice-like ceiling over the gazebo beams. Although it was 95 degrees that day it was cool in the protection of these trees.


As I took photographs I noticed the mockingbirds going crazy the way they do when protecting their young. Glancing in the bushes I saw a thin, frightened cat slinking around cautiously. It didn't respond to my cooings, but it didn't run away either. I ran back to my car to get some cat food and water (doesn't everyone have cat food and water in their cars?) and two frisbees from the trunk to use as bowls. By the sound of the mockingbirds as I returned, I knew the kitty was still there. It was obviously frightened of me but lunged into that food within seconds. I talked to it the whole time, hoping it would learn my voice and perhaps respond to it in the future. After it ate all it could, it sort of just sat back and looked at me and caught its breath, content with a full tummy.

Yesterday I drove back there on my lunch break but Mr. Frisbee (I'm calling him a him because of his resemblance to Mr. Nichols) didn't show up. I left him some food and water and hope he found it. Maybe Saeed and I can go back today. Ideally we should capture him to get him fixed, but I'm not sure how the City of Rock Hill would feel about traps placed in the bushes right near City Hall! And realistically I may never see him again. Just in case, I now have more supplies in my car. You never know when you're going have another chance encounter with a hungry little someone.




1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

What a cute little bubsy. You can borrow a trap from Teri and get him/her spayed/neutered at RHAH. Tell Dr Mike that I volunteered him! You should also get him tested first (same visit, or course) to make sure he's FIV and FeLV negative. If he's positive, you really should put him to sleep! :(
Otherwise, vaccines and surgery and he/she can be rereleased from whence he came. I do wonder, though, if the library is a good place for him, since there's little found around for him to forage. I suppose he can catch birds, but that's not very nice!
Good luck with Mr Frisbee!
-Shirin