Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Obama Headquarters

I was on my way to work a couple of weeks ago when I saw a new sign on an old familiar street. Senator Obama has come to town! Apparently Hillary's campaign headquarters are in downtown Rock Hill but I rarely go downtown. For those of you who remember Ebenezer Road it's near the Fire Fox apartments. This stretch has seen other campaign headquarters in years past, most noticeably John Spratt (won) and Ralph Norman (lost.)

People were bustling around inside and coming and going from their cars. With the primary in four days I'm sure the pressure's on. I enjoyed reading the variety of bumperstickers on the cars in the lot but didn't photograph them; people may not want their license plates plastered across the web. Although we'll be in Atlanta this weekend we'll get up early Saturday morning and vote before leaving town. It's been fun listening to NPR and hearing interviews from across the state and yes, from Rock Hill specifically. I even recognized one of the interviewees. Rock Hill has had her moment of fame.

3 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

Cool! I'm also glad Ralph Norman lost!
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

You are lucky that you live in a state whose primary counts and that you get to listen to all the candidates and have an influence on the final outcome. When the IL primary comes along, races have always been decided and no one gives a hoot what we think. The only good thing about it is that we are spared all the smeary campaign commercials. Things do still seem to be very close, so perhaps this year the race will still be a race when our primary occurs.

- M

Anonymous said...

Ditto in Michigan. Because the state decided to have the primary early, our state will be punished and our deligates will have less of a voice at the convention. On the democratic front we were only able to vote for Clinton. Since it was an open primary, many democrates voted to spoil the republican primary by voting for the weakest canidate. Michigan is famous for party members crossing over party lines to spoil the other primaries. One year our democratic choice was Feiger for governor (defended "Dr. Death" fame- I'm not going to try to spell his name but you know who I am talking about)-by the time the election came around even hard core democrates voted republican. I rather have strong canidates on both sides so there is real choice, difficult discussions and a better chance for our country all around.