Monday, August 31, 2009

A Couple Of Packaging Choices

Since April (and my Earth Day posts) I have made an effort to look at the packaging my purchases come in.

As convenient as pump soap is it comes in plastic bottles. Even refilling from larger bottles still involves buying plastic bottles. Below you see the difference between that and the thin plastic wrap in which some bar soap is wrapped. (As a side note Shirin pointed out to me that Bath & Body pump soap has gelatin in it; I try not to buy or eat things with gelatin as an ingredient since it is derived from collagen found in the bones, cartilage, connective tissue, and skin of animals, traditionally cows. Most commercially produced gelatin nowadays is produced from pig skin. That's kind of a yucky thing to smear all over your hands, isn't it?! Needless to say I will not buy this soap again anyway.)

Below is an assortment of laundry products. I've decided to do away with the non-chlorine bleach altogether, so once that's used up I just won't purchase it again. I've used both the Ecos liquid detergent and the Biokleen powdered detergent and found that the Biokleen will be my choice. It washes just as well if not better than the Ecos and the packaging leaves a smaller carbon footprint; both can be recycled but the chip board is better.

No comments: