Sunday, May 30, 2010

Owl Box

Bumped into this streaming video of an owl box containing four nearly adult chicks. I wish I had time to just sit here and watch it. After finishing Wesley The Owl I am more in love with owls than I was before. The box belongs to a family in California, who put the box up two years ago but didn't have residents till this year. The owls are totally unaware of the camera. Right now they are just sleeping so all I can see is the feathers of two of them moving with their breathing, but it's like meditation. Beautiful.

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

I've checked back in many times today and the owls have mostly been sleeping but I've seen preening, eating, scratching, and what looked like turning the head nearly upside down to look at something out the door. Right now I can see two of them swaying back and forth while they sleep. They stand up while sleeping so I guess they never sit or lie down. It's dark now here in the SE but it's still sunny in CA... I'd love to see them become active in preparation for leaving the box for their night time activities.

Ingrid said...

Oh wow! They have a camera outside too, so you can see them flying onto the supports surrounding their house. They are very active now that it's night time (in Cali.) Cool.

Ingrid said...

Checked when I got home from work today. The two in front were preening and then pulled up a foot and went to sleep on one leg. I've seen other birds do that too... incredible balance.