Lovin' this World Cup soccer. This is where it's at right now:
England and USA tied with 1 point each
Slovenia beat Algeria 1 to 0
Ghana just beat Serbia 1 to 0
Germany will be playing Australia in a couple of hours. I supported USA, Algeria, and Ghana and will be supporting Germany. It's obvious why I'd pull for Germany and the US but the other games I just have to go with my gut. Sometimes I'm motivated by my ever present desire to support the underdog, sometimes it's because of a particular player I know, sometimes it's because I love their food (too bad India, Vietnam, Iran and Ethiopa aren't playing) and sometimes it's because I saw some great movies made in that country (Algeria.) Hey -- it's as good a reason as any! I feel a bit guilty not routing for Serbia since my great-grandmother came from what was then called Serbo-Croatia which became part of Yugoslavia and is now just Serbia and Croatia, but Ghana has such heart, were missing two of their best players, and are from the host continent. Sometimes I even go against these philosophies. I should have pulled for Slovenia because they are such underdogs -- the entire population of Slovenia is just over 2 million! When they won I was actually pretty happy.
I may have to take my lap top to work all week if the games times match my lunch breaks.

2 comments:
Wow - 4 to 0. I feel sorry for Australia, but they were so outmatched. I also feel sorry for myself since none of the game times match my lunch break. The games are at 7:30, 10:00 and 2:30 :-( No games for me all week :-(
Thanks for the update. I'm only mildly informed on the games and needed this info spoon-fed to me.
-Shirin
Post a Comment