Saeed and I have been reading Dr. David Servan-Schreiber's book AntiCancer: A New Way of Life on the recommendation of Saeed's internist, something for which I will always be grateful. Dr. Servan-Schreiber explains that every one of us has cancer cells but that not all of us get cancer due to our bodies' own defenses. He himself had cancer and searched for ways that he could help his body become as strong as possible to fight his cancer based on the results of the most recent scientific studies. The urgings of others compelled him to write this book to help the rest of us prevent cancer's onset or to reduce its effects once established. On Amazon the book has five stars based on 199 reviewers. And although much of it has to do with the nutritive value of the foods we eat there are other lifestyle factors (such as exercise, emotional health, and the household/toiletry products we use) he discusses as well. It's nice that the anti-cancer diet provides anti-diabetes and anti-cardiovascular disease benefits as well. (link to Amazon video here - note he uses the word 'cereals' for what we call grains) This book is a gem. In no way does he dismiss current cancer fighting technologies; he himself has had two surgeries and chemotherapy. And in no way does he make any promises; he advises us to use all that modern science has to offer to increase our chances of survival.
So when I found the video below about the toxic chemicals that can be found in all the things we use on our bodies I thought I'd pass it along. Servan-Schreiber mentions avoiding parabens and phthalates, but there are many other chemicals we should try to avoid if we can. (link to Environmental Working Group data base here) If you watched "The Story of Stuff" I blogged about a couple of years ago you will recognize Annie Leonard and her animated message. Enjoy:

No comments:
Post a Comment