This morning we gave Banu her last batch of medications. We've been restraining her twice daily and forcing various medications down her throat since she got home from the hospital. I'm not sure who's happier we're done with those meds, Banu or us! She is SUCH a good patient though. None of our other kitties would have put up with this the way she has.
Although one of the meds, an antibiotic, was anti-diarrheal (she began having diarrhea when she was in the hospital) she has had diarrhea throughout the week. I remember when the triplets (Frosty, Calvin, and Layli) were kittens and were on antibiotics for a coccidia infection which causes diarrhea, they were on an antibiotic so long we began to wonder if the antibiotic eventually was the cause of their continuing diarrhea. When their antibiotic was discontinued their diarrhea resolved. I'm hoping for the same result with Banu. It's not bad diarrhea (more like ketchup than water) and she always puts it in the litter box, but still, I'm ready for some nice solid little würstel!
The most important thing in her recovery has been her resumption of eating. She has always been a dainty eater and still is, but we hear her crunching every day. I have three different crunchy dry foods available for her to pick from but she hasn't eaten any of the canned food I've offered her, not even the Fancy Feast. I guess I will never get her back on the healthy stuff I switched all the kitties to in the fall. Since that's what she was eating while she was sick she may even be classically conditioned against wet food. Oh well. Although she's still very thin it's nice not to feel her every vertebra jutting out from her body.
So we'll see how it goes now that she's off all medications. Kreuzen Sie Ihre Finger, dass ich kleine Würste im Litterbox wieder finde!

4 comments:
Good!
Wurstel! Haha!! :) Sounds funny. Only German can make something like this sound funny.
Glad she is eating and doing better.
Auf Deutsch mußt Du sagen: Halt die Daumen.
- Deine Alte Schwester
Danke schön!
Post a Comment