Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rainy Voting Day

***second post of the day***

Today is the SC primary. Saeed and I did our civic duty and went to vote. It has been a gray, rainy day, but we made the most of it. After voting we went to the Bombay Grille which has excellent Indian food. Then we made a stop at PetSmart (imagine that) and headed to Winthrop Lake to commune with nature. It's actually been a lovely day.

Our voting place is the clubhouse in a neighboring subdivision called Laurel Creek. Two of the doctors in my office live in Laurel Creek and the clubhouse was where another doctor's daughter had her wedding reception. It's a nicer venue that the elementary school we used to vote at.

 The smiling man seated on the right is our neighbor, three doors down. We always see him working the voting tables.

Ta da! Now for some Indian food.

 A few years ago when I still had really long lunch breaks I used to drive up here (Pineville) to get their takeout for lunch. Talk about being addicted!

 Usually the rice goes on the bottom but I went the wrong way through the buffet line. Hey, I was just following everyone else! They had (L to R) saag channa (like saag paneer but with chickpeas), a super yummy cabbage dish, an even yummier cauliflower dish (gobhi makhni), a dish with peas (it's under the rice), and dosa. You can see one of my dosas top left already dunking itself in the tamarind chutney. To the right is the coconut chutney. They also gave unlimited naan. The dessert (no pic, I was too busy slurping it down) was one of my favorites: mango custard. I could go again for dinner.

Why are you taking my bleeping picture? Notice the cucumber/tomato/onion salad on Saeed's left. It was almost just like Salad Shirazi. 

 At Winthrop Lake there were just as many sea gulls as ducks. Maybe it's all this rain; they thought they were at the beach. We sat in the car, listened to the rain and Anoushka Shankar's album "Rise" (see below), and drank fresh coffee from McD's. It was lovely.

Water draining from the soccer fields straight into...

 ... the lake.


Now we wait for the primary results...

Anoushkar Shankar talks about making "Rise":

No comments: