Monday, March 19, 2012

Happy Birthday To Me

I know nobody reads my blog except for a couple of family members so I don't think my sister will mind me sharing an excerpt from what she wrote on my birthday card:
Rest assured that I will be remembering the day I danced a jig around Dad because he wanted a boy and I got the sister I had been waiting so long for. And then he bought me a strawberry milkshake. A special day indeed!
So blame her that this vegan-ish person decided to see what a strawberry shake tastes like! Believe it or not I've never had a strawberry shake and as good as it was it's not something I'd need to have again. I promise you that in this day of Supersize Me my 'small' shake was larger than anything my dad could possibly have bought my sister 28 years ago on the date of my birth!


And sis, don't feel guilty if you ended up being happier about the shake than the red squalling baby you were about to share everything with... your bedroom, your make-up, your bubble gum...

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Such a sweet and cool rememberance. How nice. Happy birthday, Mommy!
-Shirin

Martha said...

As I think about our young lives together, my only regret is that Mom & Dad waited so long - that we only had 12 years together with a huge age gap. Although I often feel concern about all that Shirin has put on her plate, her boys are so lucky to be in each other's lives for so many more years.

As for the strawberry milkshake - I would guess that chocolate would have been much yummier, but by then chocolate was verboten.

- Your Big Sis