Sunday, April 15, 2012

Found Pics Of Old Friend Friedl!

I have a cousin in Austria (that I will not name for her privacy) who emailed me to ask if I had any information about an old friend of my mother's from her life before moving to the US. Apparently my cousin met a friend of an old friend of hers who told her that his mother and my mother were girlhood friends who continued to write to each other after my mother left. Unfortunately he sold his parents' house and threw away all the old papers but he remembers very clearly photographs of me and my sister as children. His mother's name was Elfriede Maria Böröz, called Friedl, and my cousin was hoping I had some of the letters she wrote to my mother, or perhaps remembered some stories my mom may have told me of her old friend back in Austria. Unfortunately I don't have any letters of hers but I did find four photographs in my mother's album that named Friedl.

 The page was labeled, "Ein Besuch in Friedl Böröz' Garten September 1941" which translates to "A visit in Friedl Böröz' garden September 1941".


Friedl is on the left, my mother in the middle, and another friend by the name of Reserl is on the right. They are all holding cute bunnies!


I may like this pic the best.


 Look at my mom's cute expression.


Ok, NOW I know where I got my silliness from!


My cousin also wrote, "How small the world is! I think that's such a nice and wonderful story!" I agree.

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

Awe, Grandma is so cute and silly and sweet in those pics. What a small world.
-Shirin