Saturday, September 8, 2012

There's Oatmeal In There Somewhere!

During the cold months my mom fixed me oatmeal every morning (cold cereal reigned in the summer.) I was an awfully picky eater but I loved oatmeal. She cooked it on the stove (did they even have instant oatmeal back then?) and sprinkled it with something called 'Concentrate', wheat germ, and sugar. I don't know what Concentrate was but it came in a shiny small gold box and looked like miniature cereal flecks. It must have had some healthful property she read about. Back then sugar wasn't the bad nasty it is today and she let me sprinkle the entire top layer with it. Yum.

I'm back to eating oatmeal every day and have been for quite a long time. It is touted as a healthy cholesterol-lowering whole grain and I still love it. What is different though, is all the other stuff I put in it. The volume of "other stuff" is larger than the volume of oatmeal!!  So move over Liselotte's oatmeal for Ingrid's oatmeal:


This breakfast keeps me full for many hours because of the low glycemic index and amount of protein and satisfies many nutritional requirements:
  • whole grain (complex carb)
  • protein
  • vitamins & antioxidants
  • folate
  • iron
  • omega-3 fatty acids
  • fiber
  • probiotics
  • all essential amino acids

A little note about cinnamon - there are four basic types of cinnamon: Vietnamese, Chinese (cassia), Indonesian, and Ceylon (true) cinnamon. What is commonly available here in the U.S. is cassia cinnamon which is fine to eat with normal (occasional) use. It, unfortunately, may be somewhat toxic in large amounts so if someone is using it daily for health the true cinnamon from Ceylon is advised. I have been unable to find true cinnamon anywhere locally, not even at Earth Fare. The labels on the containers do not let you know which type is inside so I've actually contacted the companies and they are all cassia. Interestingly all the cinnamon in Great Britain is true cinnamon from Ceylon, but here in the U.S. - no. As with anything nowadays it is possible to order true cinnamon online and I plan to do so. One of its properties is to lower one's risk of type II diabetes and we have diabetes on both sides of our family, so it seems like a wise thing to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think instant oatmeal was invented yet when you were a kid. And if it were, Mom probably wouldn't have used it.


Kellogg's Concentrate cereal was introduced four years after their Special K cereal hit shelves. Special K was the first truly successful cereal to provide a high percentage of key nutrients. Concentrate was intended to take nutrient-enrichment one step further and capitalize on the success of Special K.

Concentrate was promoted as "the greatest concentration of nutrients ever offered in a single all-purpose food". It was nicknamed "the ready-to-serve nutrition booster".

The cereal was comprised of very, very small flakes which resembled fish food pellets. The cereal came in a small gold foil box with a pour spout on the side.

One serving of the cereal consisted of only a couple Tablespoons and it tended to expand when milk was added. In addition to acting as a breakfast on its own, Kellogg's recommended that Concentrate be sprinkled over other cereals, casseroles, salads, soups and even desserts.

Kellogg's claimed that "one ounce (of Concentrate) gives you the nutritive values indicated, in all of these fine foods:"
Protein - more than an egg and two strips of bacon
Vitamin B1 - as much as three ounces of pork
Vitamin B12 - as much as one ounce of meat or fish
Vitamin B6 - more than five carrots
Niacin - more than three ounces of beefsteak
Folacin - as much as three ounces of broccoli
Iron - as much as two ounces of beef liver
Vitamin C - about as much as a four-ounce glass of tomato juice
Vitamin D - as much as a quart of vitamin D milk
Riboflavin - more than 4 ounces of cheese
The cereal lasted into the 70's before it disappeared from grocery stores.

No wonder Mom went for this.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Wow, you remembered/looked up more than I did, and she fed you an egg every day!

Anonymous said...

Did you notice that you had a dead fly in your oatmeal. Look carefully at the bottom of the picture slightly to the right. Hope you did not eat it, but of course, it is mostly protein anyway.
Saeed

Ingrid said...

Y'mean that plump, round, dark blue fly? You bet I ate it.