Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Last Kitty (I Hope)

Yes it's been a long time since I blogged. Sorry. Will try to catch up. But first I just have to say that we finally trapped the last kitty that I know of. I've already told you about Sherbet, Callie, and Moxie's capture, as well as an unknown kitten (that looked exactly like Sherbet) and an unknown very wild black kitty. So that left...

...Sonny Boy. He looks so much like Lupe. (click to enlarge)

Sonny Boy is about four months old and surely one of Sherbet's other babies. I would watch them come to feed at the same time and once full, play and lounge in the grass in the sunshine. Two weeks ago Monday we trapped wiley 'ole Sherbet. I couldn't believe it. And hanging around near the trap was Sonny.



With Sherbet gone he acted so lost. And then it got really cold at night; one night it reached and stayed at 29 degrees. I was so worried about him but he made it. He stayed under the bushes (seen behind him in the first picture) and must have been warm enough. 

Thursday we finally got him too. As frightened as all these cats are I know they'll be better off. A trip to the vet for testing, vaccines, and neutering, and then off to "The Barn" for stray cats with food and warm places to hang out. 

I was happy to help the lady trap these guys. I was happy to feed them twice a day regardless of it being a weekend day or a day I had to go to the Ballantyne office. But I am not cut out for this work. I'm too soft. And yet going through this might have made me one millimeter tougher. I could do it again if I had to.

I miss all these kitties believe it or not. Even after they were caught I found my eyes searching their old hang outs, half expecting to see them sitting there waiting for me to come feed them. It'll probably be months before I quit looking up on the hill for Sonny.

No comments: