Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Happy Sylvester?

I love that my cousin is Austrian and does things in such non-American ways. She sent a lovely postcard for Christmas and enclosed a little trinket the likes of which I've never seen. Fortunately she explained it's presence and meaning on the back of the postcard.

Postcard: "Schönbrunner Allee im Schnee" (Schönbrunn palace's walkway in the snow) is so lovely I want to go there. Hey big sis - you been there?



The trinket is clearly a "penny" (ein Euro Cent) but on the other side...


.. was this cute little lady bug! She explained that at Sylvester, which coincides with New Year's Eve, people put these little trinkets in their money bags so that they will have enough money in the next year.

Well I don't have a 'money bag' but clearly need to get one before next New Year! What fun.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Let's go to Austria! We only live once. We should go on a holiday instead of getting together in one of our boring old houses. C'mon!
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

I have been to Schönbrunn more than once, but never in the snow. Tante Käthe used to love to walk on the grounds. Inside it was generally packed to the gills with tourists.

Sylvester is what our relatives call New Year's Eve. As you probably read it is named after some long ago pope who died on that day.

Großvati started my charm bracelet and I have a lady bug charm, which Mom told me was for good luck. I didn't know it was part of the New Year's festivities. I always think about baking some fish cookies so we can eat them tail to head on that night as Mom taught us, but I never seem to get around to it.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Those fish cookies - remember how she would never let us decorate them? They had to be plain or their function as good luck charms (eaten in the correct direction of course) wouldn't work. I had a ladybug charm as well.

Shirin - I will definitely go to Austria before I die. I may want my sister as tour guide (not to mention that she can inform about family history as we go) but you and Tita both should be in on this other side of your genetic pool, to connect with those Neanderthals. :-)