My sweet husband said he missed my blog and the way it chronicled our life together. Our lives are pretty quiet and not much different than when I last blogged over four years ago. Nevertheless, I may return from time to time and post. Since my last post all our kitties have gone over the rainbow bridge and we have two new grandchildren. The circle of life and subjects for future posts.
First, let me introduce you to Earl. We inherited Earl from our daughter. He has feline leukemia as
a result of a bite from a stray cat in her neighborhood and it is safer for him here at our house since there are no little boys to leave doors open for escape. Earl joined us in July and hasn't gotten out once; we intend to keep it that way.

Earl is one of the best kitties we've ever had. He loves to be with us and follows us from room to room. He can be in a deep, deep sleep with us in the library but if we move to the kitchen he follows. We love it.
I posted about Earl on my Yammer page at work, a page titled "Pets Are People Too." I have gotten over 600 views and nearly 30 comments. I will add photos at the end but here is the text of what I posted:
"Meet Earl, a crazy thug from the streets of Georgia. You know what they say about cats wanting to sit in boxes, “If I fits, I sits.” Well Earl chose to sit in my lunch box this morning.
Earl’s back story is that he was found by the side of the road as a kitten nearly dead, with eyes swollen shut from infection and dehydrated. A kind vet (my daughter’s partner at Toccoa Veterinary Hospital) decided to bring him in and treat him to see if he would survive – he did! He became the “office kitty” though nearly blind from the damage/scarring to his eyes. Somehow, he was able to see enough to navigate through the office and became a “cat-food-terrorist”! They wondered who was chewing holes in all the bags and caught him at it one day. He had to go. My daughter and her husband took him home to live with two other kitties and two little boys, but he was now a “scooting-out-the-door-terrorist.” When they tried to prevent him exiting through the doors, he pushed out the window screens. Sadly, after a bite from another cat he became infected with feline leukemia which suppresses the immune system and can predispose cats to deadly infections, so he is now at my house to be safely and securely kept indoors.
We aren’t sure how long Earl (now 8) will stay well but we’re giving him all the love, kisses, and healthy care possible. He hasn’t gotten outside and seems to realize his outdoor escapades are over. Instead he follows us around from room to room, sleeps with me at night, sits on the toilet lid waiting for me to come out of the shower, chases noisy toys around the kitchen, asks for treats, watches the birds outside the window (not sure if he just sees movement?), and sits in lunch boxes. My husband and I are the lucky ones though. We’re being loved by the softest, sweetest, silliest kitty who gives us lots of kisses in return."
If I fits, I sits.

Too much catnip? Let's say that.
Don't let him fool you. He's fully capable of waking up and following you anywhere.
No. He never slides off.
I no longer shower by myself.
One of my favorite things: tufts of fur between his toes. Hobbit feet.
Earl's the only one who looks good with ear hair.
Not ashamed of playing in a WalMart box.
Scooting on his back along the kitchen cabinet.
My editor takes a lot of naps.
Damned sunny spot keeps moving.
This is one of my favorite pictures of my sweet Earl joon.
No comments:
Post a Comment