Sunday, January 12, 2020

Whole Foods Plant Based Diet To Stay Healthy


Since 2014 I haven't changed much other than adding a few more wrinkles. I'm still interested in the welfare of animals and eating plants to improve health. What may have changed a bit is how tight we've had to get to keep H's coronary artery disease at bay. We've moved to a Whole-Foods Plant-Based diet (meaning no animal products), no added SOS (sugars, oils, salt) per the "Essie" way of eating.

Affectionately nicknamed Essie, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn continues to tweak his recommendations but the above description remains the same. H is, for the most part, very compliant with Dr. Esselstyn's recommendations and I credit his not having another cardiac event with his adherence to this diet and regular exercise. The last time he was in the hospital (Sept. 5, 2017) a radical procedure was suggested by one of his cardiologists. After much research on the doctors who could perform this new procedure and researching the risks of having it performed, H decided against it. I'm really proud of his determination, bravery, and intelligence in seeking out the best path for himself.

I truly believe in trying to stay off medications and out of hospitals. Meds have their place and hospital procedures can save lives, but I've seen too many negative side effects of both - including death. Working in a doctor's office I see first hand the problems of our current healthcare system. Have high blood pressure? Here, take a pill. Have high cholesterol? Here, have another pill. Your potassium level too low from your BP med? Here, take some potassium. Muscle aches from statin? Here, take some mobic. And on it goes. NOBODY is talking about diet and lifestyle to stay healthy. My aim is to stay off all meds if possible and I'm doing what I can to make that happen. If I end up on a Rx it won't be for lack of trying.

Some people say they can't change what they eat, go without their ___________ (fill in the blank) but I say, "Don't be a wienie." Don't like eating greens? Tough beans, eat them anyway. Don't like eating beans? Tough beans (ha ha), eat them anyway. Can't live without cheese? Fine, but be prepared to pay the consequences. Sounds pretty harsh and I'm a wienie myself sometimes, but I'm trying hard.

Since I'm pretty sure no one reads my blog I may use it as a place to store articles and videos I like that I don't want to post elsewhere. That way I can be as free and transparent as I want, without worrying about being politically correct or hurting someone's feelings. To that end I'd like to post a video I saw today of Jon Stewart interviewing the people that were in the move The Game Changers. This is the best movie since Forks Over Knives and has made quite a splash.


No comments: