Grinning from ear to ear behind that beard.
Why is my yard boy happy? Because he found out he is allowed to water his outdoor plants. We are now on our 26th day without rain. The temp today is predicted to be 104*F; this will be our 9th day over 100*F. All this is pretty unusual for SC; we are typically not over 100* and expect daily afternoon showers. Water restrictions were announced a week or two ago; no watering of lawns (except twice weekly between 9 pm and 5 am) and no car washing. Apparently some people were ignoring it so now they've announced fines.
Saeed, ever the honest one, has stood by watching his plants cope with the lack of water. He tried once to go out during the prescribed hours but it was pitch black and he couldn't see anything. Yesterday he called to inquire what defined a "lawn;" since we have no grass perhaps ours wasn't a lawn in the traditional sense. The ban apparently is not against hand watering with a hose, since that involves small areas for short periods of time. Hallelujah! Too bad he didn't find this out 26 days ago.
From top to bottom of picture you can see the ivy as it grows out from under the shade tree into the sun... dark green to light green to brown.
Our magnolia tree is doing fine. I just took this picture because these cones are so cool. They're big and fuzzy and drop to the ground to spread their seeds. Wish I had taken a picture of the beautiful white flowers two months ago.
1 comment:
Glad to see not all of the plants have died.
I remember one summer a few years ago that had so much rain and cool weather, we didn't EVER have to go outside to water plants. I wish for those days to return.
Athens also has major water restrictions. We are only allowed to water 1 day/week with the hose and we're not even allowed to fill containers of water inside to bring outside for our plants. I didn't realize until a few days ago that those rules applied to me, since I still forget that I'm a homeowner now! Oops!
Luckily, the last two nights have brought some rain. Thank god!
-Shirin
Post a Comment