A magnified view of the Baha'i Temple

The original picture with the Temple barely visible in the center.

Martha and Ken play tennis regularly with people from their retirement community. One morning they graciously let me tag along and I enjoyed myself immensely. (that's me with the white sun visor)

After a quick shower and lunch I drove to mom's place and found her watching a group of people playing bowling with a Wii. She was fascinated but then so was I!

After she'd had enough of that we went to the computer so I could show her some photographs and videos on my blog. She's a great-grandma now! She's also a cat lover and a nature lover, which is pretty much what my blog is about. I guess that old saying, "The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree" really fits in our case.

My mom has the prettiest white hair. It's so shiny and smooth and she doesn't do a thing with it. I'm so jealous. When I get old I'll be lucky to have hair!

After exhausting my mom with all the updates from my family I came back to Martha's and caught her fixing dinner.

She fixes sun-tea during the warm summer months and here she is adding lemon. During the colder months we get coffee... it's the rule :-)

A close-up of her fridge: photos clockwise from bottom left: Cinnamon :-( , a group shot from Shirin and Gabriel's wedding, Shirin/Lisa/Anahita from Lisa's wedding, Anahita and Mom from August 2006, Ken's niece, my Dad :-( , and two pics close together of Anahita and Cha Cha and Shirin receiving her diploma.

We all agreed that the corn in Illinois is like no other, and that if none of the burgers came out right it'd be OK as long as we had our corn-on-the-cob! Yum.

The next morning we went to "The Southern Belle" for breakfast. Ken had a gift certificate but I like to think they chose this place because of me (get it? southern belle? Ok, so I'm no southern belle.)

We went straight from there to a bike trail to work off some of those pancakes, eggs, and hash browns.

I couldn't get over how swollen their waterways are. Ours are still low, with rocks jutting out. I guess we're still not over the drought.

Back to Mom's to chat while she mends a pair of her pants. Can you see the picture on the wall behind her? It's actually a framed edelweiss from the Austrian alps. If I'm not mistaken (Martha - correct me if I'm wrong) my grandfather sent that to her.

That evening Martha and Ken took me to Drury Lane in Oakbrook for dinner and to see The Buddy Holly Story. The place was very lovely. We walked around a bit and several other huge rooms were set up for wedding receptions.

The theater was also lovely and the guy who played Buddy Holly was quite talented. He had to act, play the guitar, and sing Holly's songs to sound like him.

On our way back to their house we drove through our hometown to look at some of the old places. We drove by the homes we grew up in (Ken grew up one block away from Martha and me), our old schools, downtown Main Street, and the old Pool and Racquet Club where all three of us spent many summers. When I look back at our old home it looks so small, but when I was a kid it was just right!

Those were some awesome fresh blueberries. Usually they drive up to Michigan and pick the blueberries themselves, but gas prices nixed that this year.

These vegetarian sausage patties turned out so tasty. Even Ken liked them, which is good, but then it means I have to share.

I loaded up on Martha's yummy breakfast because I knew I had the flight home in front of me; the snacks are gone but the flight attendant still brings you something to drink.

Don't believe the newscasters when they say flying is down. This is the baggage claim area in Charlotte, people six deep in front of the conveyor belts. It seems as busy as always to me.

It's good to be home with Saeed and the kitties. I think Saeed missed me but I know the kitties missed me. They follow me around; I feel like the Pied Piper. Thanks to Martha and Ken for their wonderful hospitality.... I'll be back!















4 comments:
I believe the edelweiss was one of the few things mom brought with her herself. Too bad we'll never know for sure....
Your Big Sis
I really enjoyed seeing Grandma, Martha, and Ken. (And Cinnamon on the fridge...what a great photo). It made me really miss Downers Grove and the people in it that I love. I wonder how/when I could go up there with Cyrus. Traveling with an infant isn't easy and who the heck wants to host a girl with a 3 month old? Oh well...maybe soon. I really miss Grandma and Martha.
-Shirin
It was great to see your Mom. I loved the picture of her sewing. What a lovely trip, I feel like I went with you.
I know what you mean about the corn. Two weeks in July all I eat is corn on the cob and homegrown tomatoes. It isn't summer until the corn is ready.
love ya
Ellen
It was really nice to see all the pictures. Mommy you did a great job of documenting everything...as always ;). I loved seeing our pictures on Martha's fridge. Martha, any chance you'll be coming out towards CA in the upcoming months?? :) I wish I could give grandma a big hug too. She looks cute.
Post a Comment