Monday, August 25, 2008

Must Be A Female Lizard

We have a lot of lizards around; I've written about them before. I'm not sure why some people are afraid of them (because they look like snakes with legs?) because I think they are SO cute. Usually they are pretty wary and run off but sometimes they don't mind just looking right back at you. This picture shows the beautiful dusky green color and the pretty stripe running down its back. Their ability to change colors, though, is totally fascinating.

I have a coworker that comes to work every day with her hair in a different style or perhaps even a different color. This desire to change her appearance on a daily basis is surely not for survival, unless she is trying to keep her marriage alive by appearing to be a different woman each day (related to the Coolidge effect.) I think of her every time I see one of our lizards changing color. I was on the deck admiring a green lizard when it decided to take off. Look at the bird feeder.

See how it has changed to brown to blend with the bird feeder?

Must be a female.

3 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

Remember when we moved all the furniture around to save one of these guys from the cats? She lost her tail, but we were able to get her out intact otherwise. ;)
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

Yes I remember that vividly. So far this year we haven't had a lizard in the house... that I know of.

Shirin Modaresi said...

Maybe there's one in Calvin's belly.
-Shirin