When we bought our first house in RH we also gained the best neighbors we'll ever have. We have fond memories of Hoa running up to us in the driveway to welcome us and ask if had children. Though she was disappointed by our answer ("no") we made her happy about nine months later. Over the next 13 years Lanie & Amy and Shirin & Anahita lived like sisters, playing together, eating together, sleeping over, and holding fake weddings in our driveway. As refugees from Viet Nam, Van and Hoa worked hard to raise their family and our relationship with them was very warm and loving. We often say that our years living next door to the Vu's were the best years of our lives (of course those were also the years of Ellen & Larry, but that's another story!) Our lives were changed by these wonderful people.
Why do I go down memory lane? Because I bumped into a new young comedienne named Anjelah Johnson (with Mexican and Native American roots) who often uses ethnicity as the source of her comedy. In the second half of this routine she does a bit about Vietnamese nail salon beauticians. What she says isn't exactly PC, but she does the accent very well and I felt my heart sore when I heard it. Just hearing the Vietnamese accent makes me happy! Enjoy.
1 comment:
Ha! She's so good. I've actually seen her before. What's funny is she never says the women are Vietnamese, but I knew it instantly (as you did) that that was the accent she was doing. Makes me think fondly back on the Vu's as well. :)
-Shirin
Post a Comment