Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"Leftovers" Soup

I have found a wonderful way to use my leftovers from the Vietnamese restaurant we frequent. Typically I bring back Lemongrass Tofu or Ginger Tofu or Tamarind Tofu... you get the idea. Annie Chun's has a variety of different prepackaged soups and meals, available at my local grocery store, that are convenient for me to store in my locker at work. I like the soups because they easily reconstitute with hot water. I add my leftovers from dinner (and some fresh basil if I have it), sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro on top and presto! An awesome soup full of flavor and lots of "stuff"!

You may say, "So what?" which is a perfectly logical question to ask. The ingredients are healthy, relatively low sodium, no monosodium glutamate, and best of all... a biodegradable bowl made mostly from cornstarch. Because it decomposes you can throw it away but you can also put it in your compost and as it says on the label, "... treat the earth respectfully." If that's not good enough for you, you can go to www.1bowl.org which will take you to the World Food Program (an Annie Chun's link) to donate money for hungry people.

Small companies like this who consider the ethical issues related to their products are the ones I like to support. It makes my food taste better! :-)

Warning for vegetarians: not all products are vegetarian.

1 comment:

Shirin Modaresi said...

I like their soups as well. I usually add cubed tofu and veggies as well, which makes it a very yummy, easy Asian lunch or dinner...which are my favorites.
-Shirin