I am just pages away from finishing this book for book club Tuesday night (too bad I'm doing 500 loads of laundry and cleaning the house instead of reading it.) I have read so many health books, nutrition books, ethical eating books, how-to-eat-so-you'll-never-die books, that I just didn't think I'd want to read this.... same old same old.Nope! It's wonderful. Pollan is a wonderful writer for so many reasons that you find yourself just pulled into what would seem such a boring subject. First of all, he just writes well. For those of us who love to read that alone has value. Secondly, he writes in such a balanced way that you never feel that he's trying to force a point of view on you. He looks at all sides of an issue although it's clear that he's not happy about the industrialization of our commercial food production. And lastly, he writes with such a humorous and personal flair. He puts himself is some pretty crazy situations to obtain his information first hand.
So what's it about? I think the easiest way to convey that is to let you read the first chapter (in pdf form.) I highly recommend this book.
2 comments:
As I discussed extensively with Saeed, I think the reasons he highlighted for eating meat were quite weak. But I agree that in general it was a very balanced and wonderful book.
-Gabriel
Gabriel had a lot of good things to say about this book. I got to hear all about it second-hand from him, since I prefer to read fiction in my sparse free-time. It sounds like a nice balanced look at all sorts of issues related to food growing and eating. Glad you liked it too.
-Shirin
Post a Comment