Thursday, January 1, 2009

Principles

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them."

This was said by Alfred Adler, a famous Austrian doctor and psychologist living at the turn of the century. As I reflect on his statement I find that whether I agree with it depends on the topic.

For example, I find it very easy to follow an animal-friendly lifestyle in an attempt to reduce my contribution to animal suffering but feel quite reticent to prescribe it to others. Having been on the receiving end (however well meant) of the rantings and ravings of someone who feels that they know what's "right,'' I know that I don't want to do that to others.


On the other hand, there are lifestyle principles that are obviously good but I have a harder time living up to them. Backbiting, for example, is nearly impossible to withstand in an office full of women. That doesn't mean I don't try and won't continue to try to disentangle myself from this ritual of negativity. Inspite of Baha'i writings about backbiting (How couldst thou forget thine own faults and busy thyself with the faults of others?/ Breathe not the sins of others so long as thou art thyself a sinner/...and should refrain from slander, abuse and whatever causeth sadness in men/Even if what is said against another person be true, the mentioning of his faults to others still comes under the category of backbiting/. . backbiting as grievous error, and keep himself aloof from its dominion, inasmuch as backbiting quencheth the light of the heart) I find myself pulled into the cycle of gossiping.

I guess my New Year's resolution will be to try much harder to live up to my principles. That doesn't sound like much fun, but it really doesn't have to be about sacrifice and restraint, like giving up cheese :-) It's possible that one of my principles is... to have more fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to dance with you...

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Ok, well, I may look like the little old lady twirling in a circle with her guitar, but if you can take it I can too.

Anonymous said...

I am all for dancing. I don't even have to get drunk to do to be as silly as those people.

Regarding backbiting. I found one way to curb this habit in me. I promised myself that if I end up talking about someone to a co-worker that I would have to talk directly to the person I talked about before the end of the week. After a couple of times catching myself and having to confront the person with MY problem I learned to just go directly to the person I had the issue with Or just shut up.

Ingrid said...

Good advise!