Sunday, July 19, 2009

Enjoying Nature

This is one of those "Zen" kind of posts... not much is going on and yet a lot is going on.

When I leave the house for work in the morning I see the most beautiful sight on my way down the steps. Our hibiscus plants bloom most enthusiastically first thing in the morning and then diminish as the day goes on, only to burst open again the next morning. But on weekdays I'm always rushing, so it falls to the weekend to capture this parade of colors.

**click on any photograph to see it enlarged**

The view coming down the steps.

The view taken through the kitchen window.

Looking through the kitchen window to the left to the deck...

... and my tomatoes :-)

The view through the kitchen window to the right.

I'm not the only one to enjoy this view. Here's Obi...

... and Chappu (bad lighting)...

... and Calvin.

After getting close up I noticed the bees were very busy collecting pollen.





I love the smooth interior of the flower. If I were a bug I'd curl up on bottom against that smooth surface and take a nap.

The pink hibiscus looks so exotic.

They make the bees look pink too.

Blossoms and buds.

Look inside the bottom two buds.

The pre-blossom structure looks like a green pepper.


Nature is not only beautiful in it's full blossoming glory; it can also be beautiful in its destruction thanks to some artistic worms and caterpillars.

Notice the wetness on the leaf from the dew that dripped down from the hibiscus flower above.

This is what remains after the flower wilts and falls.

The former beauty queens litter our sidewalk.

Such is the cycle of life.


For more Zen meditative viewing...



2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I agree. The hibiscuses (sp?) make the back yard so lovely.
-Shirin

Saeed said...

There was a time, may times, in fact, when I got earfuls of nagging and criticism about my making a mess out of our desolate, weed-covered, uneven mudpiles that used to make up our front and backyards. Is anyone now willing to do the right thing and admit that some 13 years of back-breaking work and thousands of dollars have really made our yard very homey, a place one would want to walk with a grandson where he would enjoy and learn about the flora and fauna? Do not forget that the full magnificence of our yards is a few years away, when Cyrus and hopefully other grandchildren can climb "funny trees," swing off of their strong branches, and make tree houses.