I have things in my pantry and refrigerator that most Americans would be unable to recognize. Let me use the lime as an example. What you see in the first picture is not limes going bad but limes going good! There is a seasoning called leemoo amooni that I've seen only in Persian cooking. Basically it's a dehydrated lime. The flavor it imparts to the food, usually a stew, is exquisite. There's nothing like it.
It's actually very easy to make as you see below. Set your lime in the sun and watch it turn into a thing of magnificence.


American:
Hey Hon - are you making salsa?
Persian:
Azizam - vill you make sharbat?

A: Hey Hon - I think this lime has had it.
P: Azizam - Pass me tat lime to esqveeze on top of tis fish.

A: Hey Hon - Is this a lime or a lemon?
P: Azizam - Are you saving tis to make leemoo amooni?

A: Hey Hon - When are you going to throw this thing away?
P: Ooo Azizam! Tat is estarting to look vonderful!

A: Jeez girl! Something's died in our fridge.
P: Ohh Azizeh-dellam! Dat looks so good. Ven is dinner?
If you don't want to "make" them you can buy them by the bagful at any Persian store and some Arabic stores who stock Persian items.

Bah, Bah, Bah.
(translation: yummy, yummy, yummy)
(translation: yummy, yummy, yummy)

So if you know any Persians, invite yourself for dinner. If not, let me know; I happen to know one personally!
;-)
;-)
2 comments:
I think only a Persian would get this post. :)
-Shirin
I agree, but since my readership is very small and primarily family I figure at least half of them will understand it!
Post a Comment