Monday, August 24, 2009

I Vote For A Four-Day Work Week

For someone who works hard all week the weekends are supposed to provide some respite. The problem is, the weekend is also the only time to catch up on chores too big to get done during the week. DEPRESSING! So, we always try to mix in some fun with the work.

First the work:

Layli watches from the safety of the stairs as Saeed power washes the exterior of the house near the dining room window. It's always interesting to me which cat finds a particular sound frightening. The power washer was very noisy and boomed on the wall. Layli was fine with it but Lupe had to hide. During thunderstorms Lupe is the only 'upstairs cat' to be seen and Layli is hiding. What are they thinking?

It doesn't take long in this rainforest climate to grow some pretty interesting stuff on the siding. Fortunately the power washer got it all off.

Closeup of the flowers on the above bush.

While Saeed cleans outside I clean inside. Before I can vacum I have to put up all the cat toys and furniture. Obi gets excited by the 'new' scratch post up on the coffee table.

After we were done it was time for dinner at the Saigon Bistro in Charlotte, our favorite restaurant. On the drive home we noticed some interesting and beautiful lighting as the sun hid behind the clouds.







At some point during the weekend we also went to Paneras for a meal of black bean soup and Meditaranean veggie sandwiches and reading. Saeed was reading The Human Zoo: A Zoologists's Study of the Urban Animal by Desmond Morris. I was reading Border Passage: From Cairo to America -- A Woman's Journey by Leila Ahmed, my next book for book club.

I guess there's no chance of our culture going to a four-day work week, but I think we'd all be healthier for it. I never feel rested or recreatationed enough before it's time to go back to work again. Saeed starts fall semester tomorrow so his three-month 'weekend' is over too. Oh well... we have jobs we like and that's a good thing.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I was just discussing with one of Gabriel's co-workers how all she does is work and clean. I think those things have just replaced hunting and gathering. We're all just working to keep ourselves going in "nature." Just think of it as survival.
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

I hate to gloat, but in retirement we finally have time to do everything we used to try to cram into a weekend. Stress has all but disappeared from our lives. We feel so blessed to finally have time to whittle away at our bucket list and come considerably closer to accomplish a number of the items on our to-do list. On the weekends we stay home to do household chores and try to stay out of the way of those of you who are trying to do it all in 48 hours. I had a nice conversation with one of mom's assisted living neighbors who told me she is 70. Could that mean I have just ten more years to jet set? A depressing, but motivating thought...

- Your Big Sis