Bella the foxhound and Maggie the fox have become firm friends at an animal sanctuary in Essex.

Little nipper Beldaran, an eight-week-old baby wolf weighing just five pounds, was adopted by Ulrok, an 18-month-old male Rottweiller when she was just four days old at the Kisma Preserve in Mt Desert, Maine, USA.

Paloma the pot-bellied pig lives together with owner Mico and her Jack Russell Terrier Dog Flippo.

A five-week-old boar, named Manni, plays with a Jack Russell terrier called Candy in Ehringhausen, Germany.

...Manni, who was found abandoned in the forest, is being hand-reared.

A young elk rescued from a flooding river by a farmer in Inje, Gangwon Province, South Korea. It was adopted by a female dog that breastfeeds and guards him. This picture is my favorite, I think because of the way their heads are so nuzzley together.

Three lion cubs feed on the milk of a mother dog after their mother abandoned them after birth, at the Safari Park in Hefei, China.

A mother dog nurses two red panda cubs who were abandoned by their mother soon after they were born, at a zoo in Taiyuan, China.

A mother cat is raising and feeding an adopted orphaned puppy whose mother died from postpartum hemorrhage, in east China.

A young fallow deer with a herd of cows in Ellund, Germany. The deer, which has been named Fritz by the farmer's children, has been living among the cows. What a bucolic setting! I'd be willing to live among the cows; maybe you'll see my picture next time.

Tinkabelle the sheep stands with her two dog friends. Tinkabelle apparently believes she is a dog after being lovingly nurtured by a pet labrador.

At Sriracha tiger zoo, Thailand, a proud mother with her babies. A tiger that has been raised on pigs milk looks after piglets as her own. (That concrete floor bothers me though. Since when do tigers live on concrete? Since man began abducting them for their viewing pleasure.)

Anjana, a two-and-a-half year-old chimpanzee, looks after his new best friend, a 21 day old white tiger cub, at T.I.G.E.R.S (The Institute of Greatly Endangered and Rare Species), in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

A tiger cub and a pig snooze together, at the Sriracha Tiger Zoo, in Thailand. I don't know why, but for some reason this picture is my second favorite with the animals spooning like a married couple in bed! In the back of my brain I worry about what happens when the tiger is fully grown. Will they keep him full enough to prevent him from seeing Mr. Piggie as pork? (Another damn concrete floor - I guess that's the M.O. for the Sriracha Tiger Zoo.)

Eight-month-old orphan elephant Themba, whose name means 'hope' in Xhosa, who has struck up a friendship with a sheep called Albert at the Shamwari Game Reserve in South Africa


1 comment:
I hope these are all true. I get dubious, but I guess the animal kingdom has some compassion now and then.
-Shirin
Post a Comment