I saw you leaping through my yard
Then stop beside a tree.
You’ve never been so close before
How could this even be?
I’ve seen your kind locked up in zoos
And dead upon the road.
To see you standing live and free
My feelings overflowed.
I froze in place afraid to breathe
Worried you would flee.
We looked each other in the eye
Time stopped for you and me.
I saw your fear and nervousness
Tails flicking in your woe.
You turned your heads both left and right
Unsure of where to go.
The tears began to fill my eyes
Emotions filled my heart.
Your habitat no longer there
Since man tore it apart.
The fields you graced now full of homes
Filling the expanse.
We moved right in and took your land
Without a backward glance.
Where would you go my gentle friends?
I couldn’t stay and so
I left for work still crying for
The stag and his sweet doe.
2 comments:
I saw two deer the other day as well. They were beautiful and bounded away quickly as I came up to them with my car. It was a doe and an older fawn. They were delicate and elegant. Why do people want to shoot them (besides overpopulation)?
-Shirin
People shoot them for sport but the word 'sport' implies a competition, so until we give deer a rifle with which to defend themselves it's nothing less than the hunter taking advantage of someone without a weapon - a massacre basically.
Post a Comment