Sunday, September 12, 2010

Life With A Two-Year Old

Now that Cyrus talks pretty well our activities have a running narrative: What's that? Climb another one. Want some. Boy throw nut up! Cyrus do it. What's that? Obis Obis where is? Cyrus go up the stairs by self. Oooh! Blue sky! What doin' Nama? Cyrus do it. See hippo - bite me. What's that? Snates [snakes] - how bootiful they are! Smell it Nama, smell it. What's that? Cyrus go pee pee in potty. Cyrus do it. What's that? Chappu, so sweet. Touch her! What doin' Nama? Cyrus go up, watch Nama. What's that? Kitty eating, kitty food. Look up there, there it is, blue car, I found it! Frow it! Cyrus do it. Sometimes I think I should just set up the video camera and let it run because by the time I turn the camera on the moment has passed.

This weekend Cyrus' parents took Kai with them to D.C. for a gathering in honor of Saskia's impending marriage to Soheil. Cyrus and I dropped them off at the airport Friday morning and have been hanging out since. After a good lunch and nap we headed back to Cherry Park. "Where we going?" To the park. "Where?" Cherry Park. "Where Cherry Park is?" I found myself giving him specific driving directions like, "You go straight on Ebinport and then turn right on Cherry Road and the park is on your left."

Cyrus is on his way to Cherry Park.

There's that hippo again. "Bad hippo. Hippo bite me." No honey, the hippo won't bit you.

Finally, detente! Still, he's avoiding those teeth.

"See Nama? Horsey!"

Buddies.

Here he goes from rock to rock, then asks "What's [who] that man?", then runs into me and knocks me out of my flip flops and says, "Sorry Nama."


I just follow him around; it's much more interesting that way. "Hey hippo, what doing?"


In this video you see Cyrus running around a sand pit. This is probably boring for you but for us it's significant. One of the books I read to him every time he goes to bed is about Winnie the Pooh and Piglet being lost in the woods and how they accidentally keep going around the same sand pit instead of finding their way out of the woods. You can also hear the ice cream truck playing music in the background. Smart guy parking in front of a playground.


Lest you think we set a platter of nothing but rice in front of our grandson let me tell you the back story. Saeed has been working on his Ghormeh Sabzi recipe and once again made a delicious (his mama's recipe) version of it. Gormeh Sabzi is a bit sour and made with lots of greens which we find scumptious, but Cyrus.. ahhhh... well... not so much. The saffron rice that is served with Ghormeh Sabzi? YES! Don't worry mommy, we made sure he ate a well-balanced meal, and not just a serving-platter-sized portion of rice.

As I say in the video, he must be Persian:


Hey Cyrus - make a funny face!

Saturday morning Cyrus and I headed to the Farmer's Market in Matthews. This time I drove.

"Look Nama! Plant, bootiful plant!"

Sorry Cha cha.

Going in.


Running free.

I put this picture in so you could see the long line at the egg/grass-fed beef farmer's table. I think many people's way of thinking has changed regarding these items. I was worried that with the recent egg recall the demand for these locally grown eggs would be so high that it would result in no eggs for those of us who didn't get to the market really early, but happily he had lots of eggs. (Who's that cute little guy in the lower right-hand corner?)

I'm sure people did buy his beef but I only saw people buying eggs. The last time we were at Earth Fare Saeed and I were behind a lady in the checkout line who bought 2.79 lbs of filet mignon for $55, so there's no telling how much his grass-fed beef costs. He was a very nice guy; I'll forgive him his Jesus fish.

Oh heaven above, a muffin. "Want 'nuother one!" Sorry bubsy, one's enough.

I liked it better when he called them "fuffins" :-)


Usually the local talent which plays the background music at the market is more along the line of Bluegrass music, or at least fiddles and guitars and such. Today we were soothed by the flowing sounds of harp music. With the weather being a beautiful 82 degrees and breezy it was one of those 'meditation memory' type moments.

I'm always so tempted to buy flowers but it's hard to justify spending money on that when our own yard is full.

"Cyrus push it"



After enjoying this wonderful picture of handsome little Cyrus notice the leaf imprints on the cement steps. What a clever idea and beautiful result.

Downtown Matthews is very cute and Cyrus made good use of the sidewalks.

Cyrus had to stop at every plant pot and admire the flowers.

On the other side of that brick cross walk was a train station and railroad tracks. One day maybe Cyrus and I can go there to watch trains.

I caught the tail end of this game. A boy on the market side of the fence and Cyrus, on the downtown side of the fence, threw a big nut back and forth through the slats in the fence. I guess that's what they mean when older people say, "When I was a kid I didn't have any toys. All you need is another kid and a nut!"


Havin' a good time!!

" 'Cmon Nama, less go!"

Back home someone (me) was fixing lunch while the serious artist worked at his craft...

...making 'snates' (snakes.) "Snates Nama, see how bootiful they are!"

Eventually Cyrus 'helped' me fix lunch by sitting on the counter eating a banana.

What's so funny? Oh yeah, we were listening to Lady Gaga and I was dancing really silly. I hope when Cyrus is 21 years old he doesn't remember my dancing.

If the camera is wobbly that because I was doing my silly dance. Sorry.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

What fun. No wonder he doesn't care when we leave! :)
Shirin

Tita said...

Mommy,

Your blog post just made my night. What a great job you have done of capturing the nuances of your weekend with Cyrus. It makes me feel like I was there. The pictures and videos are amazing and the descriptions are great too. I am astounded at how much Cyrus is talking now and becoming a grown up boy! He is just such a different little guy just in the short time that I have been gone (only 2 months). I am so excited to see him again in a few weeks! Thank you mommy. Cyrus is so lucky to have a wonderful Nama like you!

Ingrid said...

I miss him. Yesterday Cyrus was watching the video of the nut throwing game and laughed so much. He wanted to watch it over and over.