Saeed and I just signed up to protest the Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey Circus that's coming to Charlotte on January 29th. Contrary to what they say and what they'd like you to think, they have been caught on tape many, many times abusing animals (badly) in the process of managing and training them. Elephants are smart, emotional creatures with family units very similar to ours, but they are beaten and abused as a means of coercion. It's disgusting.
So we're going to do it; we've signed up with the Charlotte Animal Welfare Meetup Group to hang out on a street corner with signs, and probably hand out literature. Although I feel so strongly about protecting animals it's kind of scary to 'put yourself out there'. I know people will be ugly. But my girls did it in college and other people do it all the time. I just need to put my big girl pants on and do it.
Martin Luther King, Jr. was quoted as saying, "Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way."

2 comments:
GOOD JOB! I did it and was fine. I got yelled at only a handful of times and spit at once. :)
-Shirin
Spit... great. Couldn't be worse than the bodily fluids I deal with every day...
Post a Comment