Thursday, April 7, 2011

Sizdah Bedar 2011

For anyone reading this who isn't sure what Sizdah Bedar is go here.

Since our family members all went home after Persian New Year Saeed and I were left to celebrate Sizdah Bedar on our own last weekend. We went to Winthrop Lake with Saeed's famous sub sandwiches in tow and took our sabzi with us.


 This is what our sabzi looked like on March 21.

 This is what it looked 13 days after being munched on by Tippy, Chappu, and Obis Obis. Still, with both of us holding it with one hand each, we made a wish and threw it. We'll see if the wish comes true.

 This was our view from our blanket. I love Winthrop Lake.

 We weren't really alone at all. It was such a beautiful day we saw Winthrop students...

 ... and families.

 This couple had ducks walk up and check them out.

 Anyone who's been on a picnic with Saeed knows that before long he stretches out to take a nap. I did the same and this beautiful canopy was above our heads.

 I never did sleep though, and got up to take pictures of nature, like this dogwood.

 Dogwood tree blossoms.

close up

These looked like irises except they were white.

beautiful up close

the helicopters of a maple tree

Caterpillars were all over this tree...

... on every budding twiglet...

... and would then race (yes, the first time I have ever seen caterpillars run as fast as they can) single file along the branch to this nest...

... even from up above, they would race down to the nest. It was fascinating.

Back home Saeed put our second compost bin together. You see the first one behind him. We found that we produce so much fruit and vegetable 'waste' that the compost could never form because we were always adding new material to it. With this second, larger bin we should be able to keep adding to one while just spinning the other, allowing it to decompose all the way. We'll see.

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

Winthrop Lake is so beautiful. I've never seen caterpillars act like that, by the way.
-Shirin