Tuesday, July 26, 2011

564.00

Sorry, but I always have to fight a smile when the diagnosis is stool in the colon. Let me back up a bit... (no pun intended.)

We have quite a few patients that are worked into the schedule for pelvic pain, on average about five a day. Most of these distressed ladies are worried they have ovarian cancer or something scary like that, which is totally understandable. A simple pelvic exam reveals that they are having pain simply because they don't "go" often enough. Their distress turns into embarrassment, and their anticipated order for an ultrasound or CAT scan turns into an order for more fiber and a daily trip to the reading room. Then they have to check out with the ICD-9 code for constipation on their check out sheet. Sheesh doc, please don't write on 564.00 on my checkout sheet!


I once told him I've never heard of a constipated vegetarian and it was his turn to smile... but he knows I'm right. :-)

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

You're definitely right. :)
-Shirin
PS I make note of stool in the colon all the time in my job (usually with x-rays), but I've never really thought of it as a diagnosis.