Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Painting The Living Room - Finally!

Ya'll know of the difficulties we went through with those painters last year. A couple days ago I took off the curtain brackets in the kitchen eating area and underneath it was the old wall paper. Can you believe that? I had to peel off the wallpaper, apply primer, and then paint over the spots. I said a few unkind words about those painters. And we finally decided to bite the bullet and fix the living room.

As much as I just wanted to paint the walls Saeed easily convinced me that these spots in the popcorn ceiling had to be fixed first.

This shows where the men had taped their plastic sheeting on our living room wall and then pulled it off along with some of the paint...

... and where they splashed something white on the wall.

We lugged everything into the middle and taped up our entertainment center.

After we put the plastic sheeting down three of the kitties had to investigate. Here's Tippy on top but she did a lot of underground (under plastic) exploring as well. (click to enlarge - she's particularly cute!)

Chappu (below) and Obi did the same. Sometimes I could hear dashing and scuttling around under there. I guess Frosty is above all that silly business.

After spraying the popcorn holes with 'popcorn-in-a-can' we had to let it dry for 24 hours. Next was to paint the molding and then the ceiling itself. While Saeed did that I spackled and removed hooks and electric plate covers and drove to the paint store to buy more paint. Am I boring you yet?

The happy painter. It's a relief to finally have this project underway. (click to enlarge to see how spattered he got!)

It'll be this weekend before we can actually paint the walls. The 24 hour wait period for the popcorn material threw us behind a day but that's OK. We got to spend lots of time together even if we were splattered with paint.

6 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I'm proud of you guys. It's so much hard work, but it'll be worth it.
Hope that color looks good on the walls (I have my doubts). :)
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

You've never liked that color but your dad loves it. It does give the living room a warm and cozy feeling but it's not my choice either. We're actually quite anxious to open the can; we bought it last summer and can't remember how close it is to the current color. Well, as expensive as paint is these days (it's crazy expensive) the walls will be whatever color is in that can!

Martha said...

Glad to see you tacking this odious task. You will be so happy when it is finished and the walls look clean and even once again.

My favorite paint roller has a plastic shield wrapped half way around it to prevent spatters on me and the carpet. It also has a place to put an extension pole for painting the ceiling. If you keep painting, you might want to pick one up.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Actually I have the very roller you describe - I used it when I painted the utility room. Hmmm. I wonder if Saeed didn't realize we had it.

Keep passing those tips my way though. I need all the help I can get!

Anonymous said...

If you have a roller that splashes paint on you, why would you ever choose one that would keep you as clean as before you started painting and not giving you the pleasure of feeling like an old fashion painter? I am sure only Ingrid and my two duaghters who have seen me being totally covered with mud and blood when gardening or doing yardwork and grease when working on cars would understand what I am saying. I saw the fansy roller but did not want it. Nutty, huh?

Saeed

Ingrid said...

Yes :-)