Thursday, January 19, 2012

SC Primary


South Carolina's primary is this Saturday. We are one of the states that allows all people to vote in the primary regardless of one's political affiliation. We've certainly had a lot of ads on our TV and radio stations but the most amazing bombardment has been the number of messages on our answering machine. I think one day we had 9 messages from candidates telling us why we should vote for them.

Above you see the announcement that our local (Charlotte) NPR station will be having a discussion at Winthrop Tuesday night. It will be hosted by Mike Collins, a WFAE personality, and a Winthrop political science prof. They will address the political implications of the SC primary results and the emerging issues for the 2012 presidential campaigns. People who come will have a chance to discuss topics that are important to them and how they would like the presidential candidates to address key issues facing the country.

It's so funny to me that dinky little South Carolina even has such an important role in the presidential primary. Let's hope we don't embarrass ourselves.

5 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Apparently, SC always picks the winner. Funny. :)
Why don't Georgians get any of the fanfare?
-Shirin

Tita said...

I know. It is hard to believe that SC is so much in the limelight these days.

Ingrid said...

@ Shirin: You can aspire to be as worthy as we are. Until then...

@ Tita: We are in the limelight quite often, thanks to the sexual and criminal indiscretions of our bible thumping politicians.

Martha said...

I was hoping you would write about this. It tickles me to see datelines from Rock Hill and reporters standing in front of Winthrop University signs.

So are you going to vote for someone on Saturday? Perhaps the candidate most likely to lose to Obama? I know that you have been very disappointed by the Big O, but the more I see these candidates - and I have carefully avoided watching the debates - the less I like them. They all frighten me for different reasons and I cannot fathom any of them being in charge of our country. Why oh why can't the Republicans come up with someone with integrity, intelligence and a coherent philosophy? Yes, I am turning into our father. I'm glad he's not around to see this.

- Your Curmudgeonly Big Sis

Ingrid said...

I do plan to vote tomorrow. Romney, Santorum and Gingrich are all typical Republicans with faults aplenty. I can't figure out which would give Obama a harder run for his money. Gingrich is very bright but very stupid. Romney will say anything to get what he wants. And other than being part of the evangelical Christian right, I frankly don't know much about Santorum. Despite my utter disappointment in Obama I would still vote for him above any of them.

The interesting person is Ron Paul. He is SO scary for so many reasons but certainly has stayed the course in his philosophy and may initiate more conversation about how we have, over the decades, distorted the role our government should be playing in our lives. Much of what he says makes sense to me. In truth he is no Republican.

So I guess, to answer your question, I will vote for Paul. Let's shake things up a bit. Trouble is, I doubt he'll do well here.