Monday, April 2, 2012

The Riverwalk

Late Sunday Saeed and I went to the Riverwalk to take a nice walk on the Carolina Thread Trail, a trail that in our area, runs along the Catawba River. When Martha and Ken were here last April we walked it for the first time, so I had fond memories as we trod along. As we were walking, I began to smell rain, but it didn't start raining till we got back in the car. Perfect timing.

The marker identifying the path as part of the Carolina Thread Trail. The lone walker you see on the path is Saeed. I keep stopping to take pictures and then have to run to catch up.

A typical view from the path.

Kayakers.

The current was pretty swift.

That little island kept calling to me. I have no doubt that if I were 45 years younger, I would have waded out to that little piece of land and pretended to be on an island in the wilderness with no one around for miles.

I did get right down to the river's edge.

Above me sat a walker who was grateful for the bench.

We get our drinking water from the Catawba River.



Beautiful. Saeed's other set of truck keys are at the bottom of this river (right girls?)


As we walked back toward the car I had my nose in the air to smell the rain and I got a whiff of something flowery. I brought my head back down and looked around to see where it was coming from. Aren't they beautiful? Wish you could smell them.

As we drove away, I spotted a rainbow. It eventually developed into a full-blown rainbow with all the expected colors. What a nice end to the weekend.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Gorgeous. We should take the boys there one afternoon.
-Shirin

Tita said...

Beautiful. You take great photos mom. I sometimes wonder where these keys are now. Maybe thousands of year from now someone will find them and collect them as an artifact.

Ingrid said...

Thanks girls. I really enjoy photography. It slows down my walks though!