So what's on my plate these days?
- I am focusing heavily on lifestyle activities to improve my quality of health in order to prevent those chronic diseases that begin to plague people my age. I do a lot of research to keep up on the current recommendations for all things nutrition-related. Saeed and I both have tightened the screws on our eating habits in order to get as close as possible to what is currently advised to achieve optimum health.
- I am focusing on my LiveWELL criteria - an incentive program offered by my employer to make healthy lifestyle choices. This results in a reduction in my medical insurance premium; I saved $600 last year. This requires record keeping, logging in to the site to document, and calling my health coach. Ironically, if I didn't have to do all that I could spend more time exercising.
- I am exercising nearly daily. I am happy to say that although I failed in my outdoor running program due to the three H's - hills, heat and humidity - I am having success on my indoor treadmill in front of which sits an air conditioning unit Saeed installed last year (thank you.) I am slowly increasing the number of minutes I can jog at one time. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do a 5K without having to stop to walk.
- This weekend I am also trying to pin down some yoga and meditation routines. I won't have much time to do them but when the need arises I don't want to have to spend my time figuring out what to do. The secret is to have an arsenal of plans to implement when the mood strikes.
- We have also nearly completed the rest of the painting in the living room. Last summer we did the big job, but the baseboard trim and the wall behind the entertainment center was left undone. We have painted these areas and will need to pull the painter's tape and touch up any bloops, but basically it is finally done.
- It is also time to obtain the CEUs necessary to keep my certification. I ordered and received four books with material to read and quizzes to take that will take much time to complete. I always feel jittery in my stomach until I have completed the steps necessary to keep myself current. I have to do this every five years and in the past I just took the re-certification exam but it's like taking the SAT and I thought I would try to do it differently this time. We'll see in the end which method is less painful.
- And of course I spend a fair amount of time keeping my kitties happy and healthy too. Obi is happily living on the Banu/Lupe side of the house now. He challenges me daily when I try to give him his pill. Will he chew up the chicken-flavored chew tab? No. OK, how about the tablet hidden in a treat? No, spit that out. OK, how about in some easy cheese? Nope, licked up all the cheese and the treat but the pill is still on the table. OK, time for the transdermal ear gel which he doesn't enjoy near as much as Frosty enjoys having his ears rubbed when I apply his. I go through the same routine with Tippy but she has the added quirk of being put off by any noise or movement. When it's time to pill her I have to tell Saeed, "OK, no sudden movements or loud noises." I get the pill strategically positioned on my finger in some easy cheese and up walks Chappu and smells Tippy's back. No way man and off she goes. Sigh... There I sit with the glob on my finger and Tippy spooked and walking away. But I love them all. All the time spent obtaining the supplies to feed, medicate, and provide bathroom facilities for these creatures is worth it. Even the 40 lb. bags of cat litter I lug into the house in the 98 degree heat.
I want to blog, I really do. But as I sit here typing I keep thinking about the fact that I should have already left the house to go feed the office kitties and go to EarthFare to buy what I need to make tabouleh. Did I mention the ever present laundry? The fact that our cleaning lady is out to recover from surgery? That I only have 21 more daylight hours before I have to go back to work Monday morning? So I hope to find a way to resume blogging. I enjoy doing it and it's the only way my sister can see what I'm up to, but if "Life As I See It" goes dark again please know that I've probably chosen to take a run on my treadmill or carry in a 40 lb. bag of cat litter instead.
3 comments:
It feels as if you have written this for me. I appreciate the update, We spend our after work time doing what we really want to do, I believe.
- Your Big Sis
You were certainly one of the intended readers. You used to fix dinner and go to the gym to work out after you got off work. Did you like to do those things?
I fear much of what I do after work is what I need to do rather than what I'd like to do. I'd prefer to sit on my butt and eat chips and ice cream, but I may need to try to find joy in the necessary tasks at hand. Certainly listening to my iPod makes it some better.
Good for you, Mommy. My life sounds like yours + two extra kids and less exercising. :)
-Shirin
Post a Comment