Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Deck Garden Still Going Strong

The temps have recently cooled a bit so I can tell that fall isn't too terribly far away, but our mint and green pepper plants are still going strong. The tomatoes have a few more flowers/potential tomatoes on the vine but the plants look very tired, kind of like Charlotte after she spun her spectacular messages in her web in order to save Wilbur.

My pot of mint floweth over.

Can't you just taste it? I cut a lot of it and we ate it for dinner (not by itself!)

A fist-sized green pepper. We actually lost two big branches full of peppers when they broke under their own weight. It made me really upset, but lesson learned: more support needed. We also ate them all no matter their size.  :-)

 Fortunately there are many peppers still to come on the remaining (and well supported) branches.

And it's fig season. We have a bowl in the fridge that I steal from periodically. See the two in the upper left and lower right corners? Almost ripe. Yum.

It's been a spectacular summer. While the rest of the country suffered drought, we here in the tropics have had rain nearly every afternoon. Everything is lush, green and rich with life. I feel very, very lucky.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Lucky.
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

Remember, I have a black thumb. If I can grow these so can you. Other than keeping the plants watered (which Mother Nature has helped me do all summer) and supported they require no care. Good project for the boys next summer...