Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Seinfeld References Have Taken Over My Brain

Sometimes funny things happen during patients' exams, things that you absolutely cannot laugh out loud about. Today it wasn't anything the patient said or did; it was just that it reminded me of a Seinfeld episode.

The patient was very plain looking, I mean very plain, like the stereotypic librarian in a sitcom: straight medium-length mousy dark blonde hair, no makeup, pinched nose, bookish glasses... you know the look.

So it really threw me when I saw that she was sporting a shiny metal stud ring in an area that would seem very painful to me, if you know what I mean. I thought of that Seinfeld episode where he can't remember the name of the girl he's dating. He tries to find out by asking surreptitious questions like, "Did people ever make fun of your name?" and she answers, "Are you kidding, they were merciless, what do you expect when your name rhymes with a part of the female anatomy?" Jerry and George spend the rest of the episode trying to figure it out - Bovary? Gipple? Mulva?  - and only at the very end does he realize what it must be and yells out the window "Deloris!"

I guess that old saying is right, you can't judge a book by its cover. My librarian had a stud in her deloris!




No comments: