
A graceful child steps into my vision in the darkness of early morning. I stop, lights shining on the magical creature. Why are you standing in the middle of the street looking straight into my eyes? Please go back into the velvety shadows, into the trees that have kept you safe. The seconds tick as we study each other, she still and elegant, me awed and shamed. My kind cut down her trees. My kind put this concrete on her land. My kind built a brick box where she used to sleep. My kind kill her kind with guns and larger bullets named Ford and Toyota. Tears prickle my eyes. Does she sense my emotions flowing over the land like a vapor of compassion? Does she understand that my heart aches with the knowledge of our selfish crimes? Perhaps so, because as I hold my breath I then see an even smaller child step out of the shadows and carefully follow her into the darkness on the other side. Stay safe dear ones. You have nothing to fear from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment