Monday, August 20, 2007

Our Lives Begin To End The Day We Become Silent About Things That Matter.

Another one of my heroes is Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(Thich Nhat Hanh was the first I wrote about on July 22.)

He was blessed with the gifts of eloquence and conscience. We all know he had faults, but he can be credited with "walking the walk" and with putting his life on the line. Not long ago I finished a book he wrote called, Why We Can’t Wait. It recounts not only the Birmingham campaign but also examines the history of the civil rights struggle and the tasks that future generations must accomplish to bring about full equality for African Americans specifically and the oppressed generally. Dr. King's eloquent analysis of these events propelled the Civil Rights movement from lunch counter sit-ins and prayer marches to the forefront of the American consciousness. I wasn’t sure I could part with this book but someone wanted it and I thought perhaps spreading his ideas instead of hording them was a better choice. I may purchase a copy to put next to my other books of consequence.


King heard a lecture on Mahatma Gandhi and the nonviolent civil disobedience campaign that he used successfully against British rule in India. He eventually became convinced that the same methods could be employed by blacks to obtain civil rights in America. He was particularly struck by Gandhi's words: "Through our pain we will make them see their injustice."

At the age of thirty-five, Martin Luther King, Jr., was the youngest man to have received the Nobel Peace Prize. I wish he had had more time to do his work. There aren’t enough of us fighting for the needs of the oppressed, the weak, those in poverty. Are we complacent because we’re comfortable? Are we any more tired or busy than he was? Are we in any more danger than he, a black man in the 50’s and 60’s, was? Simply put, most of us just don't have what it takes.

I encourage you to read some of his books. Till then, a few quotes:

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.

The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.

The past is prophetic in that it asserts loudly that wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.

At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.

I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.

I was initially disappointed at being categorized as an extremist, as I continued to think about the matter I gradually gained a measure of satisfaction from the label. Was not Jesus an extremist? An extremist for love, truth and goodness.

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

What a tragedy that he died so young...and so violently. I think he probably knew it was a risk, but it's still so sad to think about.
-Shirin