Music is something that's always affected me on a very deep level. I have gone through a variety of transitions as I've discovered new forms of music with the result being that I like lots of different sounds. One day I was surfing You Tube and found an Italian commercial that had a great soundtrack.
One thing leads to another and about a year later I found a moving video about the first Baha'i Temple. That voice sounded so much like the voice in the Italian commercial. Could they be the same singer?
The singer in the Baha'i Temple video is identified as Lisa Gerrard, an Australian singer with a hauntingly beautiful voice. As you'll hear in a clip from one of her concerts she is, in fact, the singer in the Italian commercial I heard over a year ago. The internet and You Tube are amazing sources of information because... one thing leads to another. (Here she is in concert.)
8 comments:
Nice embedded videos!
What I don't understand is why the first singer is a man. It doesn't make sense that it's the same as the second two videos. Did I miss something? Sorry!
-Shirin
The first singer is NOT a man, it's Lisa Gerrald. I agree that it sounds like a man at first - so does the first part in the third clip (of her concert) - but that's HER voice. She can easily be mistaken for a male singer when she sings in the lower registers.
I think she sounds more man-like than woman-like in that last one except for the highest parts. Well, I knew there had to be an explanation, since I didn't think you'd gone crazy yet!
-Shirin
All it takes to appreciate the beauty and virtuacity of Lisa Gerrard's voice is to momentarily forget the man-woman tonal difference. What you will then hear is a musical instrument that generates pure melodic tones of such beauty and range that few, if any, other instrument can rival. Perhaps only violin or Persian ney. Don't you agree, Shirin?
I suppose so. The human voice certainly is unique and diverse. I thought her voice was a little strange, but she did do beautiful things with it.
-Shirin
I've heard this song before! And this singer too. I never knew who it was though. This song, Sacrifice, has been in several movies. I think her voice is pretty, but she does some weird things sometimes which throws her inntonation off. In any case, it works for the kind of music she sings, so more power to her! Thanks for sharing marmy :) Daddy, there are actually many instruments that have the range and pure melodic tone of which you wrote. :) You exposed us to a lot them.
I agree that there are times I'm not sure I like what she does with her voice or the pitch, but I think we all agree there's a place for her somewhat unusual art.
Allahumah salleh ala Muhammad va aleh Muhammad!!!! Anahira is alive! or, is it Anahita, it has been a while, I have forgotten.
Post a Comment