
When I started this blog I decided that although I wanted to periodically speak out on issues important to me I never wanted a contentious debate about politics or religion. Speaking out for animal rights or pointing out a historical figure is fair game, but nothing that would cause divisiveness or bad feelings. Since today is the first day of the Baha'i Fast I'd like to talk a little bit about that, religious but noncontroversial.
Virtually all of the world's religions emphasize fasting as a means of spiritual purification. Each year, for example, Muslims abstain from food and drink between sunrise and sunset for twenty-eight days in a row. Christ's reference to the importance of fasting is recorded in Chapters six and nine of the Gospel of Matthew. Bahá'u'lláh called on Bahá'ís to refrain from eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset for nineteen consecutive days each year from March 2 through March 20. This period, known simply as "the Fast," is considered a time for deep reflection on one's own spiritual progress. Special effort should be made to change unwanted habits, to check thoughts and motives, and to cultivate those spiritual qualities which makes one a better person. Bahá'ís rise before dawn to eat breakfast and to pray. Those who are ill are exempt from fasting, as are pregnant and nursing women, people under 15 or over 70 years old, travelers, and those engaged in arduous physical labor.
Each year as March 2 approaches I begin to look forward to this time. Fasting for 12 hours can be very difficult, waking up early even on Saturdays and Sundays, but especially at work when fatigue sets in and your coworkers rejuvenate with drinks and snacks. But fasting rewards me in many non-material ways which are very personal and upon which I choose not to elaborate here.
Day one is finished.... :-)
Day one is finished.... :-)
2 comments:
I've done the fast once before and it was really hard. But, I agree it was rewarding. That does mean, unfortunately, that you can't eat at my baby shower (boo), but I understand. I just think the food will be really good! Maybe you can take a plate with you to go!
Good luck with the month.
-Shirin
Actually I will be able to eat at the shower due to the travel exemption; I'm far enough away for enough time to qualify :-)
Post a Comment