So, let me preface anything I say with the statement that Saeed, in his generous way, agreed to go back upstairs into my jewelry box and bring me a pair of earrings on his way to work. I gave him specific and clear instructions about where to find a suitable pair that I'm allowed to wear at work. I explained, "Go to the front left square and find the silver earrings. Choose any pair that match."
Here is my jewelry box. Notice the earrings in the multi-squared tray, and notice the front left tray with only silver earrings.
Now, I realize there are a lot of earrings in those twelve squares. This is why I said "front left square," rather than "the third one from the left in the back" or whatever. I didn't really need only silver earrings, I just knew this was the simplest direction I could give.
A couple of hours later while I'm working with the doctor I get paged overhead to the phone. Saeed tells me he's about to turn onto my street, so I run out the back door and stand there for about four minutes. Finally he pulls up with a big grin on his face and hands me this bundle:
Sorry it's out of focus, but it's a tissue full of earrings held in a hair clasp. Interesting packaging but it does the trick. I thank him, open the tissue and this ...
Now, I realize there are a lot of earrings in those twelve squares. This is why I said "front left square," rather than "the third one from the left in the back" or whatever. I didn't really need only silver earrings, I just knew this was the simplest direction I could give.A couple of hours later while I'm working with the doctor I get paged overhead to the phone. Saeed tells me he's about to turn onto my street, so I run out the back door and stand there for about four minutes. Finally he pulls up with a big grin on his face and hands me this bundle:
Sorry it's out of focus, but it's a tissue full of earrings held in a hair clasp. Interesting packaging but it does the trick. I thank him, open the tissue and this ...
1) on top are a pair of pink dangling globes obtained from the previously mentioned square "third one from the left in the back". The wires are in fact silver; I'll give him that.2) large peace earrings with blue rimmed peace doves on left. Ahem. I only wear these at Halloween when I'm dressing up like a hippi. Found in the back row.
3) dangling left and right hemisphere earrings on right. Not from the front left square. Not silver. They are in fact gold.
4) at the bottom are a pair of blue spheres. These came from the square to the right of the "front left square" with all the other colored spheres. I could have worn them but we wear a certain uniform color every day and yesterday we were wearing Hunter green.
Naturally, being married to a prankster, I laughed and said "Very funny. Ok, now give me the silver ones you're hiding from me." Sighhhh.............. Oh well, I guess naked ears aren't the worst thing in the world. I gave him a kiss, thanked him again, and sent him home with a tissue full of earrings in a hair clasp. Gotta love him.

3 comments:
I laughed so hard I cried! It's nice to see that some things never change. I also loved seeing that same old sticker in your jewelry box of the track guy jumping over the hurtle. It's such a memory from my childhood and it's cool that it's still hangin' on after all these years! That is one sticky sticker! I'd love to know the story behind this sticker...why a track star? Why not a bunny or teddy bear? How funny.
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that sticker but I knew you'd see and recognize it on your own. Why a hurdler? Who knows! It was the sticker available at the time apparently.
God, I TOTALLY understand this scenario so well now that I've been married for two years (although Gabriel is more robot-like and may have been able to locate the front left square with precise, uncomplicated directions). If only you had another women in your house, she would've definitely gotten you silver and she probably also would've know that today was your hunter green scrub day...and found something work appropriate too. A guy just doesn't work that way! At least he tried...:)
-Shirin
Post a Comment