Friday, August 8, 2008

Anarchy On A Thursday Morning

I had an experience yesterday on my way to work that reminded me of a YouTube video Saeed recently forwarded me which I will embed below. All the traffic lights in our area of town were down and the early morning bleary-eyed commuters had to figure out how to get through intersections without getting killed. I think Americans are for the most part quite happy to comply with the directions they are given to keep life orderly, so when the structure for order is absent they aren't quite sure what to do. With a few selfish drivers being the exception, we commuters politely scrambled our way through some fairly large busy intersections without incident.

Other cultures seem to be more used to chaos and I think they are better than we are at dealing with it. Well, maybe not better, but more accustomed. Well, after rewatching the video maybe the more accurate way to describe it is "accustomed to chaos and better at creating it!!" Here is an intersection in Tehran which shows that the wild wild West still exists, only it's in the East!


And if you enjoyed that here's in intersection of two parallel roads in India with no lights at all. AAAAAaah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now imagine these intersections with 24 RV's driving through them. We shut down many towns in Mexico with our caravans.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Well, it's a good thing you were in Mexico where they are used to waiting and don't seem to mind. If you did that when I was trying to make it to the office in less than 7 minutes my patience would surely be challenged!

Gabriel Beal said...

Ya'll should try walking across the street in those situations. That's why I ended up with a motorcycle running over my foot in Vietnam!
-Shirin